The Swannanoa Valley Museum’s Book Club meets monthly to discuss fiction and non-fiction from local and regional authors, with a focus on Appalachian experience and Swannanoa Valley history when possible. Copies of most of our selections are available through Buncombe County Public Libraries.
All book club discussions will take place via Zoom conference in 2021. Please see the event pages below for updates and registration.
Swannanoa Valley Museum, 223 W State St, Black Mountain. Please check our EVENT SCHEDULE for the most updated meeting location.
11:30AM – 12:30PM; Generally the 2nd Monday of each Month, dates below.
Free; Open to the public
ACCESSING BOOKS: The Black Mountain Public Library will order and hold SVM Book Club books ahead of time for check out by book club members. In addition, book club members can purchase many of our 2020 books at Black Mountain bookstore Sassafras-on-Sutton. Some books are available at Sassafras-on-Sutton at a 20% discount to SVM Book Club members. Check specific event pages below for more details.
(Check out our EVENT SCHEDULE for more information.)
- Monday, March 8th- Lige of the Black Walnut Tree by Mary Othella Burnette (online). Guest visit with the author.
- Monday, April 12th- Moonfixer by C.C. Tillery (online). Guest visit with the authors!
- Monday, May 10th- Selu: Seeking the Corn Mother’s Wisdom by Marilou Awiakta.
- Monday, June 14th- Steel Drivin’ Man: John Henry, the Untold Story of an American Legend by Scott Reynolds Nelson.
- Monday, July 12th- My Old True Love by Sheila Kay Adams.
- Monday. August 9th- Laughter in Appalachia by Loyal Jones and Billy Edd Wheeler.
- Monday, September 13th- The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell.
- Monday, October 18th (evening discussion)- Even As We Breathe by Annette Saunooke Clapsaddle. Guest visit with the author!