- This event has passed.
SVM Book Club: Laughter in Appalachia by Loyal Jones and Billy Edd Wheeler
August 9 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pmFree
From the publisher: “From the people of the Appalachian Mountains comes a special brand of humor: dry, colorful and earthy, aimed sometimes at the hillbilly’s own foibles, but often at the outside world’s pretenses, too.
As longtime fans of and contributors to Appalachian lore, Jones and Wheeler collected the material for this popular and timeless volume at the Festival of Appalachian Humor sponsored by the Appalachian Center at Berea College. Includes jokes and yarns on such topics as hunting, lawyers and doctors, alcohol, and religion, along with essays on the nature and origins of humor. This hilarious collection based in Appalachia America will teach readers the importance of resourcefulness, trustworthiness and respect.”
- A favorite joke or two from the book (be prepared to read it out loud!)
- A joke from the book that you didn’t understand
- (optional) A personal joke from your own family or community traditions
- Unvaccinated attendees are requested to wear masks unless a medical condition requires otherwise. Vaccinated attendees are also encouraged to wear masks.
- Attendees will be able to distance as much as needed. Air conditioning will be circulated in the space, and a door will be left open to allow for access to outside air.
- SVM staff will keep track of the growth of the virus, and our next meeting on September 13th (The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell) may take place online.
This event is free and will take place in person at the The Education Room, Black Mountain Library, 105 N Dougherty St, Black Mountain, NC 28711. You must RSVP below to attend this event.