Valley History Explorer Hike #8: North Fork (Grove Stone)
October 9 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
This 3-mile, moderate hike will explore part of Grove Stone Quarry overlooking the North Fork Valley. This moderate trail is part of the network of roads that trucks drive through the quarry. Jason Conner, who works for the quarry, will share the geology of the region.
Difficulty: Moderate, 3 miles
This event is sold out for 2021. The museum hikes committee is taking a waitlist for individual hikes and will attempt to add hikers as spots are available. Please direct any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coronavirus Protocol: In order to follow county and state regulations concerning the coronavirus, the Swannanoa Valley Museum has created guidelines for its 2021 hikes. These guidelines and the 2021 hike schedule will continue to evolve as the COVID situation changes. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
New hike guidelines:
- Sign-ins will be conducted outdoors, at the parking lot of the Black Mountain Savings Bank.
- There will be no carpooling, no pickup truck / driver shuttles, and a new limited hike size. All the series hikes have been redesigned to be either be out/back or loop hikes and the museum discourages any carpooling to the trailheads, unless with family members or trusted friends.
- No one exhibiting symptoms will be allowed on the hikes.
- Hikes are limited to 25 hikers (20 hikers plus leaders).
- SVM will not shuttle drivers in cars or pickup trucks as in the past.
- Hikers will be required to bring a mask. Masks should be worn at the sign-in / registration table and at any time hikers are in a close group, such as at trailheads, history talks, or rest breaks.
- Social distancing requested on the trails.
- Series hikers have the opportunity to make up these hikes at any time in the future. If hikers do not feel comfortable taking part in hikes in 2020, this is more than understandable.