Valley History Explorer Hike #3: Old Town Swannanoa & Beacon Blanket Tour
December 12 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Swannanoa was once home to a thriving downtown, known to locals as “The Station.” Bordered by the Beacon Blanket mill and the railroad tracks, Swannanoa’s downtown included cafes, grocery stores, a drug store, a bank, a movie theater, a five-and-dime, and other variety stores. Join us for a walking tour of the old downtown area and the historic buildings that were once a part of the mill town. Learn about the history of this area, and see what’s happening in the old downtown today.
Difficulty: Easy, less than 1.5 miles on paved road
Note: This event has been split into two different times- 8:30am to 11:00am and 1:00pm to 4:00pm in order to adhere social distancing and group gathering guidelines for the state of North Carolina.
New hike guidelines:
- Sign-ins will be conducted outdoors, at the parking lot of the Black Mountain Savings Bank.
- There will be no carpooling, no pickup truck / driver shuttles, and a new limited hike size. All the series hikes have been redesigned to be either be out/back or loop hikes and the museum discourages any carpooling to the trailheads, unless with family members or trusted friends.
- No one exhibiting symptoms will be allowed on the hikes.
- Hikes are limited to 25 hikers (20 hikers plus leaders).
- SVM will not shuttle drivers in cars or pickup trucks as in the past.
- Hikers will be required to bring a mask. Masks should be worn at the sign-in / registration table and at any time hikers are in a close group, such as at trailheads, history talks, or rest breaks.
- Social distancing requested on the trails.
- Series hikers have the opportunity to make up these hikes at any time in the future. If hikers do not feel comfortable taking part in hikes in 2020, this is more than understandable.
Note: This hike is part of a series, which goes on sale January 2, 2020. Hikers who wish to register for individual hikes may add their name to the waitlist by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional spaces for individual hikers on the waitlist may open up if a full series hiker cancels their registration.